Demystifying the Revision Gremlin

The blog has been on the back burner for a while now, to say the least. Between finishing school, starting a new job, and trying to dive into this manuscript, my brain has been working overtime!

However, this morning I set time aside to come up with a plan for revisions. And you know what? I made a spreadsheet. It doesn’t sound so terribly exciting. But here are the details.

I gave each revision task a description that includes the chapter or scene in which the offending section takes place, as well as a quick blurb on what needs to be fixed. I categorized each one with grand sweeping names like “writing” (for areas that have obvious holes that need filling), “revision” (for sections, usually paragraph or greater level, that need a second — or more — look), “detail” (for pieces that are not quite right, usually sentence level), “word choice” (if something was aggravating me), and research (you get the idea). Each was assigned a priority, and I even color coded for revision tasks that were thematically related.

Now, this could be all a very sophisticated procrastination scheme. But I think I actually accomplished a lot. I’ve quantified and — dare I say — demystified the space between where I am and where I want to be with my manuscript.

So no more of this little revision gremlin picking away at the periphery of a chapter. I have a roadmap for the very real work to be done, and it feels mighty good to have a plan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *